Monday, December 14, 2015

Let the Training Begin!

Bill has been training on his bicycle for several weeks now. The first time out he managed 1/4 mile before he came huffing and puffing back ready to throw the bike into the bushes! On this past Sunday, his goal was 15 miles.....when he arrived back home, he had gone 21 miles including a few hills...(which we have plenty of here in Tennessee by the way). We were both happy and excited at his progress.
Last Thursday, he had a bit of an adventure at work. I'll let him tell it.
"I am in the construction field and am exposed to numerous hazards on a regular basis, but none that are really dangerous, more like things that can hurt you if you are not constantly aware of your surroundings. I was on a project where we had placed some concrete for a walk-way between the house and an addition. A gap was kept between the deck and the concrete walk-way so a transition could be placed once completed. The gap was about the width of a man's foot. I was meeting with the builder and we were all looking up the the contact point of the walk-way when I stepped right into the opening. The depth of the concrete at that point was to my upper thigh. My left leg went right down until my foot contacted the ground below, so I had one leg caught between the deck and the concrete walk-way and the other up on the surface of the concrete. Everyone stopped and looked at me, "Are you okay, is your leg hurt?" Standing in this position with with one leg between the deck and the concrete I looked back at them and said, "Man, I think everything is okay!" I lifted my leg up and all that had happened was I had concrete stain on my pants; not a scratch on my leg, no tears in my pants, nothing. All the guys looked at me and said, "You could have so easily broken your leg!"  I stood there for a moment checking my leg, seeing if I had any pain, nothing. They were all as amazed as I was. The guys I was working with do not know about this trip as of yet, so they had no clue what could have happened had I injured myself. I would not have been able to make this trip." 
Deb here, and as the chief cook and bottle washer around here, I can attest that even the concrete stain washed out of his pants! LOL!


God's call to a task includes His strength and protection to complete it.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, close call. Thankful that it turned out so well. - S

    ReplyDelete