Thursday, July 7, 2016

Albert Lea, Minnesota to Faribault, Minnesota

Big storms came through the State Park we were staying in. Lots of lightning and thunder in the middle of the night. Sleep was intermittent but we woke to clear skies and no wind. Bill was out by 8 to take advantage of the early morning quiet and I followed 2 hours later. Some of the road was excellent; some more of the bucking bronco type. On the way there, there was a huge wind power farm. There were dozens of them. They were so big and the area was so large that it was difficult to get a good picture. Here are a couple, but it was just amazing driving through these. The second one was taken from the driver's side while I was driving...what can I say....;)


Some of them were quite close to the road. By the time I caught up to Bill in Waseca, Minnesota and stopped for a few minutes I felt like my insides had been shaken, not stirred after the bouncy road.LOL! He was talking to a police officer by the side of the road. He was saying Thank-You! He was also craving pizza. We usually make a sandwich in the camper, but there was a place called the Yellow Mushroom with an all-you-can-eat-buffet for a reasonable price so we went in. Well, first of all, I thought I could pull around back and park…there was a cement divider all the  way across in the back  so I kinda boxed myself in. But I wasn’t blocking anyone so we went in to enjoy some pizza! We were greeted by June Munduhl who was very nice and showed interest in what we were doing. She asked thoughtful questions and showed us the buffet. Oh my, what delicious pizza! If you are ever in Waseca, Minnesota, stop in at the Yellow Mushroom. The present owner's father had bought the recipe quite a few years before when he ran the restaurant. A good purchase indeed! Once they knew what we were doing, we were shown kindness and generosity. We appreciate it so much. So Bill got in the truck and had me out of the jam I was in in no time flat.  What a guy! Our next stop was Waterville, where I somehow ended up off the right road. So I found the local high school and parked in the parking lot. I called Bill and told him where I was and he found me shortly after. From there, we decided to stop for the night in about 18 more miles at Camp Faribo in Faribault. Bill followed the bike path, I followed the Garmin hoping she wasn’t going to take me for a joyride again. While Bill was on the bike path, he met a nice couple from Spain.
They were pedaling from New York to Oregon. They said before they left, their family warned them that Americans were violent, had lots of guns, and there were lots of gangs. Also, that their lives would probably be in danger. When they heard what Bill was doing, they said that where they come from, the police write tickets for everything. Here, they have found the police to be quite helpful. They were surprised by the number of nice people they have met along the way. I made it to Camp Faribo and plugged in the electric so we could start the AC! I have a nice shady spot and the people running the place are friendly and helpful. Bill should be showing up soon where he can sit on something soft! Thank-you for reading.
To be part of the Thank-You tour, donate at Generosity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment