Saturday, July 16, 2016

Winona, Wisconsin to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

No wifi so we are playing catchup....Here is July14, 2016
Had a few trains go by last night at the Play-Mor Campground but slept through most of them. Bill was out by 7:30 and I left 2 hours later. Made my way through Dakota and into LaCrosse,Wisconsin. Lots of road construction…barrels, poles, and cement barriers; but I came through it all unscathed. Whew! I’m sitting in a scenic overlook looking out over the Mississippi River. I saw quite a few flocks of large white birds on the river so pulled out my binoculars. What do you know, they’re pelicans! I never knew there were pelicans in western Wisconsin. Took a short video of the river that I will post here. I met up with Bill, refilled his water and we were off. I went about 15 miles and pulled off at a historical marker
and thought I’d spend some quiet time writing. Roar! A train went by about 10 feet away! LOL! I never saw the tracks; they were behind the long grass running right behind the historical marker sign. Lots of midsummer wildflowers blooming here, the perfume is wonderful. I took a few pictures for you to enjoy.



I heard birds overhead calling to each other and when I looked up, there were 3 bald eagles circling. I managed to get a picture of one of them before they circled away.
Bill told me about some signs he had seen a ways back saying that there was a large Wildlife Refuge across the river in Minnesota. Oh! Just had a butterfly fly into the truck! :) It went back out. There’s a nice breeze today, think I will go open up the little beach house on wheels and get some lunch ready. Back on Route 35 again for another 15 miles. Bill should have over 60 miles when he gets here. Prairie du Chien is where we’re headed; it’s about 16 miles from here. This pull off doesn’t have a single wildflower…good thing I got pictures at the last place. I haven’t been in Wisconsin since our children were young. It actually looks a lot like Tennessee in this part of the state; lots of trees and rolling hills. The trees are starting to turn that deep summer green, the cicadas are buzzing and it’s starting to get hot. But I know Bill is well stocked with water so he will be okay. Bill rolled up and had over 70 miles in so we called it a day and drove about 6 miles to the Frenchman’s Landing Campground. They had a spot available for the night and we settled in. Most of the rigs in here are park models with porches and decks…just like a little town. Time for some rest, we’ll be meeting with police officers tomorrow in Prairie du Chien. Thanks for reading.
Help us say Thank-You by donating at Generosity.com


No comments:

Post a Comment