Saturday, July 23, 2016

Urbana, Illinois to Hillsboro, Indiana

June 22, 2016

Had a thunderstorm last night that knocked the heat down a bit. With a gentle rain after, we woke up to a cooler morning than expected. Just to be sure though, Bill was off pedaling by 6:30 so he could get his miles in before the heat of the day. I spent part of the morning catching up with emails and pasting links on our Facebook page to the very well done article by Mary Schenk and the WCIA Channel 3 news report done by Anna Carrera. These were both unexpected and it was all actually started by Bob

right here at the D & W lake Campground. Without his call to his friend, Chief Connolly yesterday, we would have just spent the night and kept pedaling. Instead, we got to meet some amazing people and got our message out to even more people. Thank-You Bob, you’re awesome! He took care of my trash for me this morning and I packed up and drove away. Bill had called to have me come and meet him in Covington, Indiana, about 45 miles away. I thought it was odd that the Garmin said it would take 2 hours to get there, but kept going until I reached the Covington exit…an hour early. Then it hit me, I must have crossed into the Eastern Time Zone! Woo! Hoo! No more time zones after this one! Bill called and said he was going to continue on to the campground, then he would have 70 miles. I switched over to back roads and the Garmin led me straight to a “Road Closed” sign. Fortunately, there were 2 driveways on either side of the road so with a lot of careful going back and forth, I managed to turn around and go down the next road. Who do you think was pedaling up ahead….Bill! I refilled his water and we both headed to the campground. I reached it first but had driven down some gravel road to get there. I called him to let him know and offered to turn around and pick him up. He said he would play it by ear and about ¾ of an hour later, he pedaled up after doing over 70 miles. We retreated to the camper soon after as it was starting to get really hot. Our little hotspot works (turns out it didn't work....) so we will be busy getting all of this out to you. Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment