Friday, July 29, 2016

Louisville, Kentucky to Mt. Vernon, Kentucky

We had to drive through 60 miles of pouring rain yesterday so we could get out of the storm track. It was coming down in buckets and did so the whole time we drove.
We stayed at Boonesborough State Park last night and this morning looked a little better, so Bill left about 8:30 and I received a call from him about and hour and a half later. He told me to meet him in Mt. Vernon, Kentucky in about an hour and 45 minutes. When I got ready to pull out of the camping spot, there were about 10 people at the spot across from us watching me with concerned looks on their faces. I think they thought a woman wouldn't be able to drive this thing. I pulled out nice and easy and they all smiled and I waved....still a bad_ss to be sure! LOL! On the way to the highway, I saw a Pilot truck stop, I'm learning to love those places..lots of room, so I pulled in and filled up the gas tank. It's always an adventure getting out of these places but I go slow and careful and made it out without incident. I punched up "Walmart Supercenter" and found out there was one right near the highway about 2 miles down the road so headed there to pick up a few groceries. One thing I have learned along the way, don't just type "Walmart" into your Garmin, I ended up at a Walmart distribution center last week. As I drove up, I thought, "Walmart doesn't usually have a high fence with barbed wire on the top...not yet anyway..." But there was plenty of room to turn around and I found the Walmart Supercenter across town. Shopped with my list in hand and put everything away back in the little beach house on wheels. As I drove toward Mt. Vernon, there would be 3 miles of pouring down rain, then about 3 miles of dry weather, then back to pouring rain. I didn't know if Bill hit any of that or not. I pulled over to wait in Mt. Vernon when Bill called. He was headed to the KOA campground nearby so I turned around and went back a couple miles and pulled up at the office. My Bill was in the office dripping wet! He had hit the rain too and it came down so hard, it mixed with the sweat on his head, ran into his eyes and almost blinded him. He found his way to a thrift shop on the way to the campground and the kind lady there let him stand in the foyer until the rain eased up a bit. The folks in the KOA lent him a towel and he dried off some and we headed to our camping spot for the night. After a shower and a nap, we are here in the laundry room catching up with you and doing our laundry.
Burgers for supper I think, I'm starved! Thanks for reading. 


2 comments:

  1. hey Bill and Deb
    Love the stories!!are you on track as far where you wanted to be by this time. How far?close to greeneville will you be in your travels I spoke with the Greene county Sheriff and told him what you're doing and he said he'd like to meet with you and give you a challenge coin. if you can come this way I'll try to getgreeneville police chief as well. i know a reporter at the Greeneville sun, maybe she can do an article on you.

    ReplyDelete