Thursday, August 11, 2016

Ochlocknee, Georgia to Perry, Florida

Today was one busy day! Bill set off in the rain, but only went 10 miles before it stopped. He continued pedaling and I neatened up and got ready to catch up to him. Miss Garmin was supposedly set to the town where I was to make the turn onto 221. She hollered out, "You have arrived!" and directed me to take a right. She lied. Instead of catching up to him, I ended up going parallel on Route 19. I pulled over to check my map and realized my error just as Bill called, out of water, baking in the sun. I found a small side road and drove 7 miles back to 221 and started north to find him. There he was about 10 miles back covered in sweat and not a happy camper. I got some water into him and we packed up and headed for the campground. After a whole lot more to drink, a cool shower, and a nice meal, he was ready to tell me about his day. The first person he met was Todd Pitchford, a canine officer.

During their conversation, he told Bill about a company called American Aluminum. He said they were police-friendly and made some interesting things and that he should stop by there if he could. Bill took his picture and then cycled away. Thank-You Officer Pitchford for the job you do! When we were driving to the campground, we drove right American Aluminum and found it was only a mile away from the Perry KOA where we were going to spend the night. After he recovered a bit, he rode his bike over there and met the Plant Manager, John Louk, who gave him a tour. American Aluminum makes custom tool boxes, K9 carriers, and even personnel carriers or inmate transports, all custom made to fit police vehicles. They also make custom units for animal control. This is a full unit ready for paint.
Here is Marques McGee, or "Mr. Production", applying powder coat to a finished unit.
John and Bill then visited the packing and shipping department
and then on to seeing the custom tool boxes for police vehicles.
I told Bill I need a couple of those for my shop...:) This next picture is of a crated inmate transport piece.
And another of a canine unit designed for the back of a pickup truck.
Raymond Glover is pictured here with animal control units.
I don't know how famous this will make you Raymond, but I have had over 7000 views on my blog! :) Here's a black unit for animal control
and another unit being customized to hold 2 dogs for a K9 unit.
Bill was introduced to Austin Lambert and Ashley Hudson who work in the summers and after school.
He also met the ladies in the executive branch of the toolbox division...Jennifer Arnold, president, Courtney Lundy, and Shelby Gibson.
He even go to meet the "bad_ss" of the group, Dale Ernst. ;)
Very nice company providing a much needed product. Bill was quite impressed by all of the men and women he met there that took such great pride in the products they made and it showed in the quality of their work. He pedaled back to the Perry KOA where we spent a quiet night. Thanks for reading.

If you would like to be part of the journey, please donate at Generosity.com

1 comment: