Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Shallotte, NC to Surf City, NC

Bill was off at 6:45 this morning
and I got everything done and waited for his call. At about 10, he called and said he was at the Wilmington, NC Police Headquarters.
He said bring bail money....just kidding! There was a journalist due to arrive at 11:30 so I pulled in the slide, unplugged the electrical cord and set the Garmin. When I arrived, There was a nice big area for me to park in and I saw that the journalist from WECT Channel 6 had just arrived and was setting up. While she interviewed Bill,
I spoke with Captain Perkins and found out that he and his wife know Kelley Donahue! Remember her? She was the Lieutenant that was part of an interview with us back in Madison, WI. They had bicycled together in the Police Unity Tour and later Captain Perkins sent us a picture of the group.
It surely is a small world. He also gave Bill one of the bracelets that he makes
and also traded a patch and coin with him.
I took a few pictures of the outside of the building and the memorial there.
There was a blue line down the center of the sidewalk leading up to the memorial that was illuminated at night. I found this night shot of it on the internet.
Such a beautiful memorial. Before I arrived, Bill got a nice shot of Captain Perkins with his bicycle
and pictures of Deputy Chief Mitch Cunningham
and Captain Perkins in front of the memorial.
While Baily Hicks was conducting the interview, Officer Knight arrived and was trying to quietly go around but Bill didn't didn't let him get away and he was heartily thanked. He even made it into the interview on the 6:00 news! (News Story) Thank-you all so much for the job you do! Once everything was done, Bill rode away
and I headed back to the highway, The first campground I stopped at turned me away as they were full and didn't take overnighters. The Garmin listed another one just 1.6 miles away so I gave Bill a call so he could change his route. Once the plan was set, I headed that way and shortly arrived at Lanier's Campground. All the camping spots were back-in which is definitely not one of my talents. I thought, "Well, how hard can it be; guys do it all the time." I so wish someone had been there with a video camera, the film would have gone viral! LOL! I must have tried at least a dozen times to get in there...this way, that way, with very little progress. I took a deep breath and tried a few more time and Shazam! I was in! When Bill cycled up about 45 minutes later, he complimented me on my parking skills. I told him he missed a great show and we laughed together. It was a nice spot, only about 10 feet from the intracoastal waterway. We watched the shorebirds for a bit, then went inside to work. Bill told me that before he arrived at the Wilmington Police Headquarters, he had met three different officers along the side of the road. They were on the lookout for a car that was involved in a hit and run. Bill pedaled up the first one and talked with him and he gave Bill a coin,
then he pedaled a mile up to the second one where they chatted for a bit. Then he pedaled another mile to meet the third one. The second one had called ahead to let the third one know that Bill was headed his way. After crossing the bridge he met the third officer who called the second one back to let him know that Bill had crossed the bridge safely. We are indeed being watched over. Thank-you gentlemen for the job you do! After he left the Wilmington police, he saw three more officers and shared with them our journey. Thank-you all so much for what you do and for your concern for us. So after a very busy day, we enjoyed a peaceful night in our little spot near the water. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment