Sunday, August 28, 2016

Wiliamston, NC to Kiptopeke, VA

Between no wifi and very slow wifi, we're having to play catch-up! Bill left with the sunrise
and I did my usual morning routine of packing up the little beach house on wheels. I set the Garmin for the next campground and started out about 2.5 hours later. Meanwhile, Bill met a State Trooper who was just finishing up a pull over. Bill waited and when the officer was through, he came over and talked with him.
Bill thanked him for the job he does and the officer expressed concern for our safety. Drivers are busy texting and not paying attention which has caused a rise in cycling deaths. Bill told him to ticket the next texting driver he saw and to say, "Bill sent me!" LOL! We shared a patch and Bill was on his way. Thank-You sir for the job you do! He stopped in Plymouth to see the police there but there were no officers present. The dispatcher took Bill's picture

and gave him patches to share with the police in Plymouth, Massachusetts when we arrive there.
While he was photographing an old building, he met a young man who was taking pictures of the same place. He was on his way to Nags Head to ride his bike there. He commented that he hoped he was still cycling at "Bill's age" LOL! Along the way, he met another cyclist who was along the same route and talked a bit and he told Bill he likes to get out for a 20 mile ride whenever he can...at 79 years old! Bill took his picture 
and continued on crossing a 3.5 mile bridge over the Albemarle Sound. Be careful out there sir! There was a high point in the bridge and he started filming. It was just at that time that I started over the bridge and saw him a long way off. I could tell he was filming and as he turned his back to me, I drove through his shot. Totally unplanned but a fun bit of serendipity. There was a pull off right after the bridge, so I pulled over to catch up with him. We laughed about the planning, since  I had gotten groceries and stopped for gas along the way. It was just so cool to drive by at just the right moment. You can see that video here on Facebook. I continued on in search of that evening's campground and made quite a few turns and ended up down near the water...the Garmin said I arrived, but there was no campground in sight. Fortunately, Bill had written down the phone number for me when he searched it out, so I gave them a quick call. I found out they were across town, they didn't do overnighters, and they were full. I checked the Garmin and found another one and gave them a call. They had room and I was all set. Called Bill to tell him not to go any further as we were going to a different campground. Now the challenge was to backtrack through all those turns and find Bill coming the other way. Just as I was beginning to think I might not have made that last turn right, there was Bill! He had just finished filming a harvester going through a corn field near a fire station. Since he had done his miles and it was starting to get into the 90's, we packed up and drove to Rocky Hock Campground in Edenton, NC. After a quiet evening and rest, it was time to head out again in the morning.

Since we weren't quite level the night before, we had raised the front jack so my head would be level with my feet when I'm in bed. I assured Bill I could manage getting the jack down in the morning and since I had watch him do it quite a few times, I managed it without a snag...:) I left later in the morning and headed down several different highways to get to our goal. Both of us crossed into Virginia
and as we got closer to Virginia Beach, we realized that the traffic was too crazy and the breakdown lane had virtually disappeared so packed Bill up and headed for the Virginia Beach 3rd Precinct police station. There we met Captain Orr
who had a patch and precinct pin for us.
We asked him about the route ahead and he urged us to be careful out there. Thank-you Captain for the job you do! The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was not too far away,
so we drove there and crossed the bridge. It was a good thing Bill didn't try to cycle across, there wasn't room for bicycles there. It was a beautiful day to cross and I took a series of pictures to share with you on Facebook. Once we were on the other side, we stopped at a campground that was going to be $80 a night! We got back on the road and found a state park only a few miles away at half the cost. They had full hookups, showers, and a laundry room where we did the laundry for the week. It was quiet and we rested well. Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment