Saturday, August 20, 2016

Richmond Hill, Georgia to Yemassee, South Carolina to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Another day dawns with a forecast of hot weather. Bill was up and out getting ready to take off before 7. It was still a little bit dark so the flash actually went off on my camera as you can see.

As I was getting ready for the day, and cleaning up and packing things away, Bill called and said he was ready for me to leave. So I was on my way down the road. He gets some pretty good speed going so now it takes a little longer to catch up with him. He now hits an average of 18 or 19 miles per hour and when I have to go through several little towns at 35 mph, it can take awhile to catch him. When I picked him up, he told me how he met a police officer just north of Savannah. After they talked at length, he gave his permission to take his picture but asked that we not post it to social media. We have respected his wishes. Thank-You sir for the job you do! Not too long after, he stopped at a fire station and met 3 firefighters that he thanked and got their picture.
FF J. Mohler is on the left, Bill, FF J. Hayes, and Lt. K. Fain on the right. (Hope these are right, had a little trouble with the handwriting) Thank-You gentlemen for what you do! With 52 miles in and the temperature in the 90's, it was time to call  it day so we drove a few miles to the KOA in Yemassee.
Among the usual camping spots and Kamping Kabins, was a refurbished caboose and trolley car. They were set up so you could spend the night in them...very cool. One of the ladies there made Hunt Brothers pizzas to order, so we ordered one and took it with us to our camping spot. There was a coffee bar and wine-tasting there too...haven't seen that at a campground before. It was a peaceful place, but you could hear the far-off rumble of traffic. When morning came, we both did the usual, but Bill called earlier than planned. He was nearing the outskirts of Charleston; the breakdown lane had disappeared and traffic was getting a little on the crazy side. He had several close encounters with mini-coopers of all things and it was getting up into the 90's and he had 58 miles in. On my way there, I noticed I was down to 1/8 of a tank of gas. We had been so tired the night before that we didn't notice. After about 15 miles, I found a gas station, pulled in, and filled up. When I went out the other side, I thought I was on Route 17 and took a left. It didn't take long to discover my error. By then, the road was a narrow 2 lane with no shoulders, so I went about 10 miles before I found a place I could turn around with the little beach house on wheels in tow. Bill called several times to make sure I was now on the right road and I found him at last outside of a Hardee's in busy traffic. Our next step was to find a campground. That proved to be a little more challenging. We usually find one within ten to fifteen miles, but this time it was substantially more as we had to drive through a large state park with no campground. The first campground we found was in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. This place was huge! When the number of your camping spot is 4115, you know that it's a big place! When you weren't dodging all the people driving golf carts around, you were listening to fireworks going off until midnight. We usually stay at Mom and Pop places which are usually quiet and peaceful. So this was kinda like the Las Vegas of Campgrounds! LOL! So we settled in with our earplugs and rested the best we could. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment