Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Bassett, Nebraska to Orchard, Nebraska

June 28, 2016

The fairground was a great place to camp.
It was quiet and fully lit all night.
We rested well and woke up at 6. There were several other groups there too, so we had safety in numbers. Bill left at 7:15 and I left about 2 hours later after some work on the internet. Our little hotspot decided to work here so we got the blog and Facebook entries all done. I caught up to Bill in about 30 miles in Atkinson, Nebraska. You’ll never guess what he was doing…thanking a police officer of course! :) I got to meet him too and got a patch out to give to him. Chief Tim Larby drove back to his office to get us a couple of patches
and when he returned, I snapped a picture of him and Bill.
The Chief took a look at our map and told us more about Nebraska. That Cherry County, which you saw yesterday, is the largest county in the United States…100 miles by 100 miles. How would you like to patrol that! We shook hands and each went our way. I’ve only gone 10 miles this time because there’s a storm coming in from the west and we want to be sure that Bill doesn’t get caught in it. So far it’s staying put, think we will have lunch here.
Bill ate and rested for a bit then pedaled away. The storm decided to turn south, so it’s clear skies ahead. As I drove through O’Neill, I saw a billboard that said it was the “Irish Capital of Nebraska”. I kept driving until I reached Inman where I circled through town, took some pictures of interesting buildings


and then parked on the main street where Bill could see me. There are quite a few trees here; in the western part of Nebraska if you saw trees, it meant there was a town. Bill arrived and had to stop for the day. He got a few pictures of old equipment as he went along.


Headwinds again. He did do 57 miles so that was good. We drove to the next small town where there was a campground in the city park. Full hookups, but no wi-fi. The hotspot wouldn’t work either so we will have some supper and call it an early night. Thank-you for reading.


Help us say Thank-You by donating at Generosity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment