Thursday, June 16, 2016

White Sulphur Springs, Montana to Roundup, Montana

Conestoga Campground was pretty nice.
The drive-through spots were long enough and the wi-fi was pretty good. We both couldn’t go online at the same time so took turns uploading pictures, videos and text. Bill left about 8:30 and I left at 10:00. I went quite a distance and I was beginning to worry. As I got close to the 30 mile mark, I caught sight of him ahead just disappearing over the crest of the hill. I passed him and pulled over. He was doing great! He was ready to do another 10 or 15 miles. Refilled his water and sent him on his way. The breakdown lane just got wider again, so I’m here on the side of the road about 11 miles out of Harlowton. The landscape is starting to level off and there are fields of grain on both sides of the road. Cottonwood trees are growing along the sides of a creek running along the edge of the field. Some small birds are having a lively discussion with a visiting magpie and the wind is pushing Bill along today. Here are a couple of pictures I took while I was waiting.


He came charging up exhilarated by the strong tailwind. He refilled his water and zoom, was off again. We agreed to meet at the rest area in Harlowton to have lunch. This rest area must have been an afterthought because it was hidden behind a café and the building looked like a refurbished fire station. But we both found it and made up a couple of deli sandwiches for lunch.
He was raring to go but I made him eat and put some sunscreen on his nose and he zoomed off again. I did a quick cleanup and was on the road again. When I caught up to him, he had gone almost 10 miles! He waved me on, so I am about 13 miles down the road watching for him in the rear view mirror. There was supposed to be a campground near here but all I saw was a “Fishing Access” sign and a long, narrow dirt road. The way Bill is going, I think he could pedal all the way to Billings! LOL! When he pulled up, we decided not to turn around and go down the dirt road to who knows where. He wanted to go 12 more miles then he will have over a hundred miles today! I put out our little American flag that Bill found to celebrate.  
His first century! Woo Hoo!
The next town is Roundup and there’s a campground there. I’m sure Bill will sleep like a log tonight! We are at the Ideal Motel and RV Park here in Roundup right next to the sheriff’s office. We went over and met a lady there who is a transporter. A difficult job for sure. She was outside de-stressing and we thanked her for what she does and told her what we were doing. I offered a hug, she hesitated but I hugged her and thanked her and we put a smile on her face. We went inside and met the sheriff and arranged to meet tomorrow morning for a picture and to trade patches. He couldn’t get over that we would do this and we shook his hand warmly. Thank-you all for what you do! We appreciate you!

No comments:

Post a Comment