Thursday, June 30, 2016

Orchard, Nebraska to South Sioux City, Nebraska

June 29, 2016

We spent the night in the city park in Orchard, Nebraska. There was a donation box so we put some cash in and were on our way. Bill left at 7:15 and I followed at about 8:45. The truck needed gasoline so I stopped about 6 miles out of town. A nice little lady ran the place and we chatted for a few minutes. It was cash or check only, so I asked if a check from Tennessee would be alright. She laughed and said the sheriff knew where that was so she would take my check. On my way once again and sitting in Randolph, Nebraska in the High School parking lot. The road conditions have been really bad in this section. The breakdown lane is just crumbling away
and Bill can’t be in the road because of the many 18 wheelers on this section. Since I was on a hill overlooking the road, I watched for Bill. When I saw him, I let out a whistle and he looked up and saw me. When he pulled up, he was thoroughly beat up by the road so we had a snack and talked. His bike was taking a beating too so we loaded up and drove the next 10 until the road improved. There were sections that felt like we were riding a bucking bronco instead of a truck. At last the road smoothed out and Bill hopped back on his bike. I drove another 12 miles with no town in sight so pulled over as far as I could on the grass. It’s amazing how quiet it is out here in between trucks….birds singing and the wind rustling the grass. An amazing amount of food being raised in endless miles of fields. We made it to Scenic Park Campground in Sioux City. When we found out that Sioux City is actually in 3 different states, we decided to visit all the police and firefighters in each place so will make a day of thanking them tomorrow. Lots of pictures and stories tomorrow I’m sure! Thank-you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment