Saturday, June 11, 2016

Cataldo, Idaho to St. Regis, Montana.....June 10th

Off and running at 7:30 this morning. Rain was predicted today so we are keeping a weather eye out. Bill's on the bike trail again today so I'm parked on a pulloff on the highway at roughly the end of the trail. That will make 21 miles for him so far today. Passed a very cool little building, it housed the Miner's Hat Realty Co. The roof was shaped just like an old miner's hat complete with a light on the front.
I drove on to the town of Mullen where the trail officially ends. When Bill arrived, he had a story. "When I pulled out of the park, I was on a wilderness trail for about 25 miles.
It was truly out there. At times, no sign of human habitation anywhere. I had the trail to myself for hours at a time. After riding miles on the trail, I came into the town of Kellogg where there seemed to be a lot of activity. So I pulled into the parking lot off the trail and asked around to find out what was happening. They told me it was the NAEC (North American Enduro Cup.)
They expected thousands of people to show up for the weekend. So after pedaling around for a half hour or so and taking a few pictures, I headed back to the trail. A few miles down I met a man by the name of Ben (who reminded me of our son) who was pulling a trailer behind his bicycle which had about 100 pounds of gear in it. So I slowed my pace to match his and for the next few miles I enjoyed the good company of a man I could call a friend. We talked about many subjects and finally had to say good-bye. I told him Deb was waiting for me in the town of Wallace and I hoped our paths crossed once more before the day was through. When I got to Wallace, I called Deb and found that she was 3 miles further down the interstate. (I love how she drives me!) So I wandered around town and took some pictures of a Bordello Museum

but since Deb was not with me, I did not go inside! ;) After a few more photographs, I headed out of town. Just as I was reaching the edge of town I saw some police vehicles in a parking lot next to the bike path. I decided before I left to see if the sheriff was there. Before I could ask to meet the sheriff, one of the deputies pulled up with her partner. When I explained to her what I was doing, she said, "The sheriff's going to want to meet you!" The sheriff, and the assistant sheriff came out, we talked, took pictures
and I received a patch. Thank-You all so much for what you do each day!
Then it was on to Mullen to meet Deb. To my good fortune, I spotted Ben off the bike path down near the river. He was doing a little panning so I stopped once more, exchanged a few pleasantries and went on my way. Ben had asked me not to take any pictures of him so to respect his wishes I looked over my shoulder and saw him for one last time." We were told we had to drive up Lookout Pass because of road construction but Bill was able to get back on the bike at the top and enjoy the wild ride down hitting a top speed of 47.8 mph! We both made it to Campground St. Regis where I was able to pull into the camping spot, connect the electric and settle in. I'm such a bad you-know-what! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment