Saturday, June 4, 2016

Skykomish to Wenatchee, WA

We left the campground at 8:45 this morning after making ourselves a good breakfast.
Finally figured out a way to make coffee without electricity….Yay! Coffee!
It was a beautiful sunny morning and 54 degrees. And I think it was 23 trains last night! LOL! Turned out the track was only about 50 feet away. Fortunately, we slept through most of them. I said to Bill this morning, “I’m glad you didn’t want to tent across America; otherwise, as John Pinette says, I’d lose my cherub-like demeanor!" We’re headed towards Stevens Pass
and the road is a slow, steady climb. I’m stopping every 5 or 6 miles to see how our cyclist is doing. Took more pictures of the amazing trees before leaving this morning.

Bill researched them on his phone and they are hundreds of years old! Sitting in a pulloff waiting for Bill – hope he’s handling the slow hills okay. When I saw him, he was taking pictures of something. When I stopped, I could hear a chainsaw but didn't see anyone. This man was way up in the tree trimming branches!
Yikes! 
 After we met up, I drove another six miles and when I pulled over, there was a funny smell like I was overheating a bit. Engine temp is at 210, so I’m letting the truck cool down. The poor thing hasn’t had to pull a trailer up a mountain much back in Tennessee, but only one more pass near Helena and that will be it.  While I was waiting by the side of the road, I had my flashers on. I went to the camper to check on a few things and when I looked out my little kitchen window, I noticed a state trooper pull up. I went out to greet him and he asked if we were okay. I assured him we were and asked if it was alright to be parked here and he said, "Sure". I gave him one of our cards and shared the story of our trip. He had seen Bill back a little bit and in a few minutes Bill pedaled up. Trooper Walter gave us a patch
and we gave him one from Kentucky, He picked out one of Bill's pens and we took pictures too.
Thank-you Trooper Walter! I appreciated how you stayed until Bill showed up. We appreciate you! After he left, Bill took off once again to do the last 2 miles to the top of Stevens pass!
So proud of him! He made it to the top!
We met a hiker up at the top who will be hiking the trails for 6 days with everything he needs on his back.
I wanted pictures of Leavenworth on the way back but the place was packed with people. Follow the link here to see this very pretty tourist trap. ;) So I ended up at Smallwood's Harvest in Peshastin, WA to wait for Bill.
We heard about a meeting in Wenatchee of the firefighter commissioners so we might go there to see if we can be a part of it. When we arrived in Wenatchee at last, we found a spot at the state park with full hook-ups but no Wi-Fi. Since we have all kinds of things we upload about this trip on the blog and Facebook, we decided to pick up an inexpensive hotspot at Walmart. That way, we'll have great internet almost anywhere we go! No more waiting 2 hours to download 12 pictures from my camera! Yay! Long day, we are going to hit the hay. Thank-you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment