Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Missoula, Montana to Clearwater, Montana June 13

We very much enjoyed putzing around the campsite yesterday. Some needed items got done and I practiced with my little oven. We had a nice meal together and slept well. This morning, Bill was up early and got tanks emptied and the water tank filled. Then he was on his way.
Not sure there will be a campground tonight, so we might have to boondock. But everything is charged so we will be ready. That portable charger has been real handy. Whenever Bill pulls up, we plug it into his phone and charge it up….especially if he’s been using the navigation feature. It’s a beautiful blue sky day, so I’m going to finish up around the camper and be on my way. I’m waiting at the truck stop in Bonner, Montana. Bill was going to meet with the police and firefighters in Missoula this morning and then meet here and decide on our route today. Only 46 degrees so far…we actually had to use our heater this morning. Whenever we have electricity available, we use our oil-filled electric radiator for heat. It’s clean and saves on propane. It’s amazing how the mountains in western Montana just seem to go on and on. Once we get near Helena, MT, there will be another pass to go up…McDonald and crossing the Continental Divide. Bill pedaled up and we decided to have lunch there in the truck stop. He told me all about the police officers and firefighters he met. "The first place I went was the MTDC (Missoula Technology and Development Center) where I met Chris Grove
who took me on a tour of the place where they design everything from hardware to software to specialized tools for firefighters.  After that, I met a police officer on a motorcycle and thanked him for what he does.
I was then able to stop by Adventure Cycling and they put my picture up on their wall.
This was started by 2 couples back in the 70's. Now they do bicycle tours all over the country. On my way to the Firehouse, I met an officer on a bicycle, thanked him and shook his hand.
These folks are always surprised and appreciative. At the firehouse, the one picture I had of the battalion chief, Dave Wolter, turned out to be out of focus, but I received a very unusual patch.
Thank-You gentlemen for being there for the rest of us! Next I went to the police station and met Chief Stepper and exchanged patches.
We got a picture in front of the police car and I thanked him for his dedication to serve.
Thank-You Chief!" On his way out of Missoula, he couldn't resist getting a picture of this fantastic mailbox!
He left from the truck stop
and we both did a few more miles and Bill shot a picture of an osprey nest not far from the road.
We found a state park named the Russell Gates Memorial Campground in Clearwater, Montana where we boondocked by the river. What a peaceful sound after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment